Playback Issues With PS3 Eye video recordings
Posted: 25 November 2014 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-10-27

Hi, I have a Playstation 3 Eye webcam that I am testing for astronomy use. I’ve not modded it yet, I’m just trying to get it working generally.  I’ve done some test recordings and when I’ve tried to play them back they’re very choppy, like they’re missing a lot of frames yet the right frame number appears in Registax (an avi frame stacking software).

The best way to explain it is the files appear very speeded up and don’t last nearly as long as originally recorded.

This happens at 10fps which is quite low. The computer is an 8 core, 8gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 (64 bit) desktop so I would’ve thought it would handle it.  I’m using Sharpcap 2 to record.

I’ve tried lower frame rates and resolutions and I have the same problem every time. It happens when I try to play the vids in Window Media Player or VLC. I did have had to rename the file as .avi when I first tried to open it, so it would open in those players. Could it be that the camera isn’t saving the data as avi? I run a Quickcam 4000 on a very old laptop and don’t have these problems.

I’ve installed the latest CL Eye driver and the preview in Sharpcap works fine. I’m obviously missing a trick somewhere. The CL Eye test software also has this problem with the recordings. Is it something to do with the Eye output being in RAW?

When using the Eye with Debut you can select an Avi output and the recording plays back fine. Unfortunately Debut is not an astronomy orientated program, so I need to get this working with Sharpcap 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed