Securely mounting the PS3 Eye camera for more permanent projects
Posted: 27 April 2010 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-12-28

I have thought about how to secure the camera for a while now. Since the camera is heavy-headed and has a usb cable that pulls it, it’s not easy to mount the camera securely against accidental move. One of my colleagues have found a way that is not too hard to do. I hope to share this with everyone else having the same trouble. You need to have access to a machine shop, say at a univeristy or else.

The camera has a metal base. First, take off the metal base and peel off the sticker. You will see a center hole about 1/4 inch in diameter. It’s too big for camera tripods, which have 1/4 inch screws.

Next, use Helicoil taping tool to tap on the circular hole with 1/4”-20 repair kit. The kit is intended to fix messed-up 1/4”-20 threads.

After tapping, insert a 1/4” size helicoil insert into the tapped hole and use the insertion tool to secure it.  (http://www.mcmaster.com/#91732a368/=6uhvtd)

Finally, break the little toung or driver or whatever you call it so it is out of the way.

If your tripod screw is too long, you may add a couple of washers (from a hardware store).

In the picture the base plate has been tapped and an insert is set in the tapped hole to hold tripod 1/4”-20 threads.

Image Attachments
IMG_0166.jpgIMG_0164.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0168.jpg

Posted: 27 April 2010 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17

Great work! Thanks so much for posting the detailed steps.

AlexP

Posted: 28 April 2010 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-12-28

No problem! I was bothered by this problem ever since I got my first PS3 Eye quite sometime ago. It will not stay nicely on the table. I even tried to convince someone to make an adapter to sell online in his store with all other PS3 Eye stuff he sells. Tried to design it myself but found no way to easily make a circular plate. The manufacturer probably uses a powerful press to cut the base out of sheet metal.

Posted: 28 April 2010 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17

BTW, another really cool way of mounting these cameras is using the magnetic tripods. The magnets on these stands are pretty strong and the camera stays on it pretty tight.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed