Kinect, sound off when grabbing frames. Need Mute off/on to get it back
Posted: 28 January 2011 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-01-17

- Sony VAIO Intel i3 4GB,Win 7 Homer Premium 64X
- Sound Bose via USB (separate USB channel)

I have a strange behavior of sound system.
The sound shut off unexpectedly after a couple of call to GetNUICameraColorFrameRGB24 (1 to 100)
(Kinect ran fine, all pic images look fine and motor control work OK)

A manual call to mute Off then On restore it, but just for a while if my frames acquisition loop run.

Once I stop calls to GetNUICameraColorFrameRGB24 I get back the sound.
With same sound continuity, sending “now” sound as if using “mute” (no cut once restarted, like a frozen buffer getting back from overrun or alike)

Let’s be clear, the mute is NOT activated by the Kinect nor the sound device is stopped (Winamp here), it’s something else.

Does anyone else experienced that ?

Thanks

Signature 

Gordon Eldest

Posted: 31 January 2011 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2009-09-17

This is an odd issue, sounds like an issue with your USB buses, the Kinect takes a lot of bandwidth and could easily conflict. However you did note you were using 2 USB buses but you may wanna try this not on a laptop and see the results.

Posted: 02 February 2011 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2010-02-15
Gordon - 28 January 2011 11:50 PM

- Sony VAIO Intel i3 4GB,Win 7 Homer Premium 64X
- Sound Bose via USB (separate USB channel)

I have a strange behavior of sound system.
The sound shut off unexpectedly after a couple of call to GetNUICameraColorFrameRGB24 (1 to 100)
(Kinect ran fine, all pic images look fine and motor control work OK)

A manual call to mute Off then On restore it, but just for a while if my frames acquisition loop run.

Once I stop calls to GetNUICameraColorFrameRGB24 I get back the sound.
With same sound continuity, sending “now” sound as if using “mute” (no cut once restarted, like a frozen buffer getting back from overrun or alike)

Let’s be clear, the mute is NOT activated by the Kinect nor the sound device is stopped (Winamp here), it’s something else.

Does anyone else experienced that ?

Thanks

This is saturation of your USB bus. Laptops only have one USB controller even though they have multiple ports.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed