Unleash PS3 Eye performance by USB 3.0?
Posted: 14 December 2010 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-19

hi all.

when i read aboute the drivers for PS3 Eye from alex p. in the past, i decided to buy those cam. i wanted a good IQ and a cam rendering in hardware, not software like nearly most others. and i get what i wanted to have. thank you very much alex! smile

but after a while i get a little bit disappointed because the drivers slow down the performance from 30fps in skype to 15fps, and its not about the rigs we are skyping with, we all have quadcores, its also not because of the speed of internet connection. ADSL2+ 16mbps with 1mbps upload and “Kabel Deutschland” with 32mbps down and 2mbps upload should be really enough ... but i also understand when you say, you slow down the fps because of skypes and logitechs webcams, dont want to be a competitive to this products ...

but after all im still satisfied, i love those cam like it is, and even more the mic-array! i can skype with my mates and listen in the same time to my music and the cam filters it, so my mates dont hear it, but understand me crystalclear!

since ive got a new system with an X6 and USB 3.0 im asking myself if its possible to unlock or unleash the hole performance of the cam for endusers like me and of course for such apps like skype. considering i havent enough knowledge about the technical side, i want to know if somebody could explain it a little bit to me.

thank you and regards from germany! smile

coxon

Posted: 14 December 2010 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-08-03

Hi Coxon,

The PS3-EYE is only compatible with USB2.0. A USB 3.0 port is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices however the PS3-EYE hardware is not compatible with the USB 3.0 protocol.

-K

Posted: 15 December 2010 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2010-02-15

I have an addon card for USB 3.0 which has two ports. My understanding with usb 3.0 is that if you get a usb3.0 compatible hub plugged in and provided the card has enough bandwidth internally each port will act like a full speed controller for usb 2.0 up to 10 ports. I can confirm that I have 5 ps3 eyes connected to two usb hubs running 640x480 at 60fps perfectly. I can only run one cameras on my usb 2.0 ports at that speed (well two if I get them plugged into the ports which are running on two different 2.0 controllers).

Also at that speed I use a ton of cpu just to get the data and display. I have a quadcore core i5 and it uses like 40-45% CPU. But that is through the java connection so it has to do an extra copy over the binding. I use OpenCL also and I hardly use any CPU so I am guessing in the Java case it is just the copy and the slow drawing in java.

Posted: 15 December 2010 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-08-03

thats very interesting thesmileman,

I wasnt aware that this was possible to do, i assumed that either the hub or pc card would detect the device as being usb 2.0 and just step everything down.

Do you have part/model numbers for the equipment you are using?

thanks
-K

Posted: 15 December 2010 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2010-02-15
kshaaban - 15 December 2010 02:34 PM

thats very interesting thesmileman,

I wasnt aware that this was possible to do, i assumed that either the hub or pc card would detect the device as being usb 2.0 and just step everything down.

Do you have part/model numbers for the equipment you are using?

thanks
-K

I had read on a couple of forums that it was true though I couldn’t find any documentation to justify. I didn’t want to sift through the whole usb 3.0 spec so I just ordered an addon card for my MSI motherboard that had usb and SATA 6GBps. The model of the card was U3S6. It requires a 4x PCIe slot (I have three 16x slots so this wansn’t a problem for me but it might be for you). Also it is only supposed to work on ASUS motherboards but most of the P55 motherboards are almost all the same and I heard it might work so I tried it out because at the time (4-5 months ago) it was the only 4X card slot for USB. Most of the cards are 1X slots and that simply isn’t enough bandwidth for USB 3.0. In fact I don’t think 4x is enough for full support but it is enough for my applications. Anyway I also got some no name USB 3.0 hub from a local cheap electronics store. The hub I have don’t have a name or even a model number and my first two didn’t work so I wouldn’t recommend it anyway. I would recommend the new 4 port hub from LACIE. It is the first one from a major manufacture that I know of and I have always had really good products from them.  I think the most important thing is the usb card you get as I said most are simply tacking on usb 3.0 support when they can’t provide the full bandwidth. I would assume motherboards which come with usb 3.0 do support full speed but I would check if you go that route to make sure.

Hope that helps!!!

It is really neat to have 5 connected and running with a Kinect connected too. Now if only I could get two more connects I would be set!

Oh I only have 4 of the ps3 eyes connected to the hub. The other one is plugged directly into the card. I only have 5 connected because that is all the slots between the two on the card and the four on the hub with the hub taking one up for itself.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed