Which type of lens to use?
Posted: 20 October 2010 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-08-03

Hey everyone,

Im in a bit of a blunder as im trying to figure out what is the best lens type for me to use on my setup.

My Setup:
I am going to be using 8 PS3 Eye Cameras to capture a full 360 degree field of view. i will be stitching each feed from each camera to create the full panoramic of the environment which i will then process as one single image for point tracking etc.

As optics go i would like lenses that would require the minimal amount of lens correction but would also give the most accurate results for point in space calculation.

Im hoping someone has done something similar to this? who might be able to help me with this.

Thanks
Khaled

Posted: 20 October 2010 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17

Khaled,

You might want to look at this:

AlexP

Posted: 21 October 2010 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-03

Hi Alex,

those Videos look pretty good, the camera looks good, however its the high fps that that system is lacking. Although that said, it more than makes up for it in resolution.

I think i will have to look over the specifications a little, see if its good for the job.

Thanks for the tip

-k

Posted: 21 October 2010 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-03

Just thought i would update on this.

It looks like the camera can shoot at 60FPS in 720p however the camera is not able to be captured from the USB live.

It does have a composite out which would allow me to get the image out and there does seem to be code out there that will enable me to correct the Annular image.

It does seem like quite a round about way of doing things… not particularly fit for my purpose.

I think what i meant to ask is what sort of lens would i need to use for the easiest form of stitching with minimal lens distortion.

Thanks
-K

Posted: 21 October 2010 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17

I was talking about the lens type and not the camera. You can probably get this lens (since it is an accessory to Bloggie cam) and use it with the PS3Eye and you should be all set.

AlexP

Posted: 21 October 2010 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-03

Oh, yes that might be worth looking at. I’m still in research/planning stage so every possibility is worth looking at.

I had considered using a Catadioptric system however i think my application would benefit from the increased resolution of many cameras. Its definitely a worthy plan B if i cant get multiple cameras playing nicely.

-K

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed