Quality of the PS3-Eye of different Device Versions
Posted: 30 July 2010 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-03-26

Hi,

I have a whole selection of PS3-Eye cameras here and I noticed a difference in image quality.
The later ones I bought are of Version B4.04.27.1 and compared to the first two cameras I bought
1) The images are a little bit blurry on both red and blue zoom levels and more important
2) I notice little dots greenish-blue and red of a few pixel’s size next to highlights and other very bright areas in the image.

I don’t know enough about these cams, but I was wondering if these dots are artifacts of the Bayer coding. They aren’t present in B/W. The older version cameras do not have these artifacts and generally a slightly higher image quality.

I searched the web and all I found was a post in NUI forums that different lenses have been used for these models. A close look at the cameras confirmed this. (the shape of the lenses are slightly different, the first piece of glass of the old ones being more curved)

So my question is if there are other hardware differences, where to get a few more of the old version cameras and if the artifacts I described have to do with the lens or not. (has anybody swapped old/new lenses?)

André

Posted: 30 July 2010 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2009-09-17

There is definatly a difference from the old versions to the newer versions I believe they even have slightly different sensors (don’t quote me) if this is true swapping the lens out would do little good. Your best bet is to get the version recommended by NUI community as they use it all the time.

Posted: 05 August 2010 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-03-26

Ok. Where can I get them? smile

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed