Colorspace - YUV422 - for the eye
Posted: 20 January 2010 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-01-19

Hi there,

I am starting to play with the eye and your driver and find it pretty interesting. 

First off, thanks a ton, for the article on latency.  My macbook had the same issue and I was not up to speed on this.  For our video app I was able to buffer around this, but your driver always failed thanks to the BootCamp.exe process.  Maybe we will be lucky and Apple’s new Win 7 drivers released today will work around this.

The packaging of the eye says it supports YUV422 (YUY2 in the windows world).  I would expect this to be handled in the camera and not in the driver.  At least on our camera it is.

Then in this case we should be able to set the 60fps without requiring the Bayer transformation in the driver.  Our rate should be 640 * 480 * 2 = 36864000 and this should be in the 35Mb/s range which should work.

And then we can even dump this directly onto the graphics card as a texture for more processing as needed without a color conversion in some cases.

Cheers,
Matt

Posted: 20 January 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17
tribalmatt - 20 January 2010 09:00 AM

Hi there,

I am starting to play with the eye and your driver and find it pretty interesting. 

First off, thanks a ton, for the article on latency.  My macbook had the same issue and I was not up to speed on this.  For our video app I was able to buffer around this, but your driver always failed thanks to the BootCamp.exe process.  Maybe we will be lucky and Apple’s new Win 7 drivers released today will work around this.

The packaging of the eye says it supports YUV422 (YUY2 in the windows world).  I would expect this to be handled in the camera and not in the driver.  At least on our camera it is.

Then in this case we should be able to set the 60fps without requiring the Bayer transformation in the driver.  Our rate should be 640 * 480 * 2 = 36864000 and this should be in the 35Mb/s range which should work.

And then we can even dump this directly onto the graphics card as a texture for more processing as needed without a color conversion in some cases.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt, please read this article. Although this should work in theory, 35MB/s is about 280Mb/s and that is pretty high data rate. Keep in mind that that camera uses bulk transfers and not the isochronous transfers, therefore even though data delivery is guaranteed, the speed and latency isn’t.

AlexP

Posted: 20 January 2010 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-01-19

I read this and understand the issues.  I am just doing some quick playing around.  And would like to see how this works.  I can deal with RGB or YUV2 today.  My current app is a DirectShow app that copies textures to the graphics card for processing.  I wanted to see what fun we could have with 60fps.  But I need greater resolution than 320 x 240.

I guess that puts me in the camp.  Where I would like to see the option for the DirectShow interface to support 640 x 480 @ 60fps.  Even if it is a ini file, registry setting, control app, etc.

Thx for your time.

Posted: 09 May 2010 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-09
AlexP - 20 January 2010 01:12 PM
tribalmatt - 20 January 2010 09:00 AM

Hi there,

Cheers,
Matt

Matt, please read this article. Although this should work in theory, 35MB/s is about 280Mb/s and that is pretty high data rate. Keep in mind that that camera uses bulk transfers and not the isochronous transfers, therefore even though data delivery is guaranteed, the speed and latency isn’t.

AlexP

Hello Alex,

is it correct that the playstation eye camera uses “bulk” dataflowcontrol and not isochronous?
I’m searching for a webcam that i can use with flash and the adderlink infinity KVM extender (http://www.adder.com/uk/products/Manuals/ALIF/AdderLinkInfinityv1-0e.pdf).

greetings,
Ramon

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed