boot camp macbook latency (no kbdmgr)
Posted: 18 February 2010 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-09

i’m very excited to use the ps eye with windows applications, but my results have been intermittent at best. currently, i’m trying to get the eye going on a macbook pro (not sure the rev, but i’d imagine it and/or its boot camp software are newer than those outlined in the article http://codelaboratories.com/research/view/macbook-rev.-f-audio-skipping-in-vista-analisys-and-solution-part-1).

i am experiencing terrible latency and the resultant choppiness or hanging of the camera stream. i was thrilled to read the article and immediately went to implement the suggested fix(es), only to discover that there is no kbdmgr program running on my machine. i don’t know what the landscape was like when the article was written, but now, there’s a single program occupying the cpu (at about the same load—1.5-2.5%) called “Bootcamp.exe”. i’m reticent to terminate the program to see how dpc latency is effected because the program has a very important-sounding name.

anyway, i was hoping someone was aware of this and that there’s a patch available similar to the kbdmgr patch, that will restore the camera’s operation to it’s full glory.

tangentially, i’m not sure why the dpc latency is having such a dramatic effect on the camera’s performance. i have used other (admittedly, much more expensive) high-speed cameras usb-only cameras on this and other machines and have never experienced this kind of failure of the video stream. are there other approaches to the frame-grabbing mechanism that could avoid this issue?

thanks!

Posted: 19 February 2010 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17

You are right, the latest version of bootcamp does not use kbdmgr process anymore. Now it is replaced by the BootCamp.exe.
I updated my MacBook to the latest version v3.0.0.1 recently, and it seems that Apple has finally fixed the DPC latency issue.
On my laptop the BootCamp.exe now consumes 0% CPU when everything is idle. I verified the DPC latency and it is very low with the new v3.0.0.1, so there is no need for a patch anymore.
I’m not sure why you are experiencing latency issues, but make sure you update all the drivers including the ones for the video card and wireless network. It seems to me that you have some configuration/outdated driver issue.
I’m not sure what are you using the PS3Eye camera for (webcam or multicam development) but make sure you download the latest CL-Eye Driver. I currently have no issues running PS3Eye on my MacBook and since you have a ‘Pro’ version, yours should run even better.

Posted: 19 February 2010 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-09

my boot camp sw was out of date. now everything runs great! thanks, alex and thanks, apple!

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed