Read/Write camera config EEPROM
Posted: 18 January 2010 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-18

Hi, guru !

Is it possible to read/write PS3Eye camera config EEPROM (24C64) use USB interface?
Can I change camera VID/PID into EEPROM?

I have tried to use some aplication like “Cypress USB Console” for read EEPROM. It was OK for other OmniVision camera chipsets (based on Cypress FX2 chipset, i.e. OVT FX2 “2800”), but it not worked for OV0534.

Maybe you have some ideas…

Thanks.

Posted: 18 January 2010 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17
digiway42 - 18 January 2010 05:12 AM

Hi, guru !

Is it possible to read/write PS3Eye camera config EEPROM (24C64) use USB interface?
Can I change camera VID/PID into EEPROM?

I have tried to use some aplication like “Cypress USB Console” for read EEPROM. It was OK for other OmniVision camera chipsets (based on Cypress FX2 chipset, i.e. OVT FX2 “2800”), but it not worked for OV0534.

Maybe you have some ideas…

Thanks.

Changing the VID/PID of the camera would make it not work with the driver anymore. Furthermore, the camera will not function if plugged in the Sony Playstation 3. Why do you want to change VID/PID?

The 24C64 chip is not a config EEPROM, it contains the camera firmware so messing with the VID/PID values (if they are checksummed) would possibly cause it to never boot again.

AlexP

Posted: 18 January 2010 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-18
AlexP - 18 January 2010 08:38 AM

Changing the VID/PID of the camera would make it not work with the driver anymore. Furthermore, the camera will not function if plugged in the Sony Playstation 3. Why do you want to change VID/PID?

The 24C64 chip is not a config EEPROM, it contains the camera firmware so messing with the VID/PID values (if they are checksummed) would possibly cause it to never boot again.

AlexP

There are several reasons:

1. I think, maybe I would use some Microsoft approved and signed win7 x64 drivers from some hardware compatible webcams (based OV0534 chipset) with my PS3Eye webcam.
2. Maybe I would use other hardware compatible webcams (based OV0534, e.g. CreativeLabs, Microsoft lifecam, Hercules webcams,...) with the best “CL-Eye” drivers.

I think there are some way for upgrade internal camera’s firmware and replace VID/PID if it necessary (like upgrade modem, mobile phone, mp3 player, and so on).

Posted: 18 January 2010 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17
digiway42 - 18 January 2010 11:54 AM
AlexP - 18 January 2010 08:38 AM

AlexP

There are several reasons:

1. I think, maybe I would use some Microsoft approved and signed win7 x64 drivers from some hardware compatible webcams (based OV0534 chipset) with my PS3Eye webcam.
2. Maybe I would use other hardware compatible webcams (based OV0534, e.g. CreativeLabs, Microsoft lifecam, Hercules webcams,...) with the best “CL-Eye” drivers.

I think there are some way for upgrade internal camera’s firmware and replace VID/PID if it necessary (like upgrade modem, mobile phone, mp3 player, and so on).

The PS3Eye is not a standard UVC device, therefore any drivers made for other webcams will not work (even if it is for the same chipset). Also, by overwriting the firmware you will lose audio input functionality. So I would not recommend messing with the camera’s firmware (unless you have knowledge and tools to program the OV538 controller chip).

AlexP

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed