Windows Kinect Driver/SDK - CL NUI Platform Release!!! *** Updated ***
Posted: 12 January 2011 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-12-11
Jie - 01 January 2011 04:49 PM

Are the functions thread-safe? In particular, can I retrieve colour images and depth images in separates threads without explicit safe guarding against race conditions? Moreover, according to my test, it seems heap corruptions are sometimes triggered by calling StopNUICamera. I am wondering if anyone could confirm my observation…

P.S. I’m using C++ in Visual Studio 2005 (SP1), Windows 7 (64 bit, but I was using the 32 bit compiler).

Many thanks!

I can absolutely 100% confirm the Heap Corruption when stopping the camera… I receive this (when linked on a debugger) on both Windows 7 x64, and Windows Vista x86 (on a VM).
I’m not using C++, though…. I’m using Delphi, but the point is the problem exists.

I’ve also noticed many issues when using multiple Kinect controllers on the latest SDK (and Driver).

As regards Thread-Safe, My Delphi component which builds on the NUI SDK is multi-threaded… to now I haven’t had any issues with “race conditions” or “deadlock”... I cannot say if you’d have the same luck with MSVC++ 2005, though.

Have you encountered the “shaky camera” issue on 64bit? I have it on ALL of my 64-bit systems, but not on any of my x86 systems (or VMs)... I’m assuming at this point the issue is the Kinect driver for 64bit itself.

Posted: 15 January 2011 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-01-15

Hey Guys,
Im confused!
Every time I run precompiled examples, after about 10 seconds I get this error.
i26181_crash.jpg

any Ideas?

Posted: 20 January 2011 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-01-17
Jie - 01 January 2011 04:49 PM

Are the functions thread-safe? In particular, can I retrieve colour images and depth images in separates threads without explicit safe guarding against race conditions? Moreover, according to my test, it seems heap corruptions are sometimes triggered by calling StopNUICamera. I am wondering if anyone could confirm my observation…

P.S. I’m using C++ in Visual Studio 2005 (SP1), Windows 7 (64 bit, but I was using the 32 bit compiler).

Many thanks!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I confirm the Heap corruption error in the DLL. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My findings
- Seems a thread stop but effective after a delete. (anybody would guess that)
- The C# example doesn’t looks cluttered by this

My suspicion:

- StartNUICamera start immediately a thread for data acquisition in an internal buffer.
(GetNUICameraColorFrameRGB24 etc … only do thing like memory copy, BTW this could answer your concern)
So that even without call to GetNUICameraXXXXXXX you already had started the time bomb)

- The DLL doesn’t looks like doing that much thread sync.
Debug at assembly level, it crash more violently because “hand unwinding” code is fare more slower than grabbing code and thread concurrency doesn’t execute the same way.
Internal grab buffer could be allocated from grabbing thread (that expect to be executed first because prio raised to TimeCritical, so buffer is not ready before call to GetNUICameraColorFrameRGB24)

- VS 2010 may not suffer of this problem in c++
A hunch based on very few complaints I hear about this issue.
And also because C#/XAML is for people that got latest VS release. VS2005 doesn’t do WPF smoothly.)
Is there a SDK that come with VS2010 that do better on this c++ issue ?

- Not seen more frequently using c++ because Very many developer don’t care doing StopNUICamera. 
They just exit from their prototyping codes. 
(Except FingertipTuio3d.zip sources, where I see a call to StopNUICamera but I don’t know if it work, the project need VS2010)

- A pb with apartment thread versus separate thread? (I don’t know what is the model used with CLR)

- I resist to the idea to switch to VS2010 (not to mention $)
as it may hide some weakness in the DLL
and may not even work.
Not to mention that I am not ready to switch to C# yet…

I don’t fully understand the purpose of ...  int waitTimeout = 2000); in GetNUICameraColorFrameRGB24
I found a C# code
///////////////////
  CLNUIDevice.GetCameraDepthFrameRGB32(camera, colorImage.ImageData, 500); //normal feed (top)
  CLNUIDevice.GetCameraDepthFrameRGB32(camera, depthImage.ImageData, 0); //to be altered feed (bottom)
//////////
Why 0 ? What is “bottom” ? related to 0 ?

So I will try the openkinect project to see if what is said about it is true (said to be slower, but looks marginal)
But it’s a heavy boy to compile!
http://openkinect.org/wiki/Getting_Started
This SDK is fare more easy to handle if it works.

Alex ? Any idea on this Heap issue?

Does anybody have a simple sample in c++ to show. (VS 2005 or 2008 welcomed!) ?
Just call Start/StopNUICamera but without crash would be great.

Signature 

Gordon Eldest

Posted: 25 January 2011 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-12-11

If anyone is interested in using the Kinect on Delphi (with a growing integrated Motion Tracking Subsystem)... my fully-functional component (TKinect for Delphi) can be found at http://www.lakraven.com/delphi-stuff/tkinect. It is officially sponsored by Embarcadero Technologies (the current produces of Delphi), and has become the most popular open source project I’ve got going at the moment smile

It uses the NUI SDK, and expands on it massively…. including accurate Range To Target (in MILLIMETERS), and (as I hinted at before) we’re adding a full motion tracking subsystem which can detect hands automatically, and can also be given a geometry to follow. All movements are tracked as vectors (X, Y, Z position as well as Velocity).

Comes complete with a working demo, and I’m building a Dance-Dance Revolution style game to include as a demo in the near future.

Enjoy smile

Posted: 06 February 2011 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-11

HI all,

Has anyone had trouble using the driver and the sampletest program under windows XP?
I have allready tried to install it in 3 different computers and i cant get the cameras to work.
The installation is successful, the CLNUIDeviceTest application opens, and i can move the motor up & down, but i got no images from the cameras.
After a while the application just crashes and i need to reboot the computer.
Any idea for the cause and possible solution?

P.S.

I tried to use the API, i can play around with the motor and accelerometer.
I can create a CLNUICamera and start it, but i cant grab images it allways fails.
And when i try to stop it the console application stays has a ghost i cant delete.

Thanks

Posted: 06 February 2011 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-01-17
FilKnight - 06 February 2011 03:58 AM

HI all,

Has anyone had trouble using the driver and the sampletest program under windows XP?
I have allready tried to install it in 3 different computers and i cant get the cameras to work.
The installation is successful, the CLNUIDeviceTest application opens, and i can move the motor up & down, but i got no images from the cameras.

Thanks

What SP ? What version of .NET ?
How many other USB devices do you have connected ?
(The camera is a heavy load in term of USB bandwith) try removing everything you can. No Hub, plug it direct, and even try different USB socket (they aren’t always equal internally, even if they are side by side)

Does the said “accelerometer” (theyr are more “Gyroscope”) show dynamically changing values while you change the position of the camera ?

Be carefull the apps is written in C# and XAML and as such require rather recent version of OS + .NET

Worked fine under Win7 on my VAIO (except a crash when I use a C++ code+lib but only when stopping camera so before every thing run smooth. The demo apps run completely smooth: “plug and play”).

Signature 

Gordon Eldest

Posted: 06 February 2011 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-11
Gordon - 06 February 2011 04:17 AM
FilKnight - 06 February 2011 03:58 AM

HI all,

Thanks

What SP ? What version of .NET ?
How many other USB devices do you have connected ?
(The camera is a heavy load in term of USB bandwith) try removing everything you can. No Hub, plug it direct, and even try different USB socket (they aren’t always equal internally, even if they are side by side)

Does the said “accelerometer” (theyr are more “Gyroscope”) show dynamically changing values while you change the position of the camera ?

Be carefull the apps is written in C# and XAML and as such require rather recent version of OS + .NET

Worked fine under Win7 on my VAIO (except a crash when I use a C++ code+lib but only when stopping camera so before every thing run smooth. The demo apps run completely smooth: “plug and play”).

I have service pack 3 of XP.

has for the .net i have

3.5 SP1
4 Client Profile
4 extended
4 multi-targeting pack

The kinnect is directly plugged not throw a hub, and i only have mouse and keyboard connected to the other usb ports.
Has for the Gyroscope it is working well, the values change if i move the kinnect.

Thanks

Posted: 12 March 2011 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-29

Hello, if CLNUIdriver for kinect support connect to many kinects, i’ll try to do this, but all except cameras fine. What you recommend?

Image Attachments
Untitled.png

Posted: 26 March 2011 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-03-26

Hi,

I have the same problem with Kinect. My cameras don’t work at all with the CLNUIDeviceTest.
I checked the code and

CLNUIDevice.StartCamera(camera

always return false
Did you find out how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 27 March 2011 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-03-26

Is there any video board request?
I tryed with OpenKinect freelib, and it prompts me :

“This demo needs a more advanced video board!”

thanks

Posted: 16 April 2011 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank