Astrophotografy
Posted: 25 March 2011 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-25

i was looking for an inexpensive low light webcam to to use for guiding my telescope i have tried several cams but now i can use the ps3 eyetoy on my windows 7 64 bit and it works with phd guiding.
i was wondering if anybody has thougt of working on a way for long exposure for the eyetoy eg.1 to guide and 1 to capure long exposure pictures.
wink

Posted: 13 November 2013 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-11-12

Hello Chris.

I know that this post is old, but I want to explain something about telescope guiding with a webcam, and encourage amateur astronomers to use this camera as a cheap alternative for guiding or planetary astrophotography.

I’m using ps3 camera for astronomy uses, mainly for planetary astrophotography, and ps3 camera should work for guiding also. I have used xbox webcam to guide my telescope, and It worked very nice. Xbox camera had only 1.3s of max exposure, the ps3 camera should work even better with 10s for max exposure.

About using the ps3 camera to capture long exposure photos, this is probably not very usefull for deep sky objects, but I know that some people got very nice results for a webcam capturing M42 orion nebula.

I’m trying know if CLEye SDK lets access to 10bits bayer array, this feature could be very nice for astronomical uses, but I didn’t got a response yet.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed