PS3 eye No camera found after installing Multicam SDK
Posted: 15 August 2016 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-07-08

Hey everyone,

For a project we’re using 2 PS3 eyes combined with CCV from NUI group. We got a new computer for that project and after installing the latest drivers I could connect my PS3 Eyes and see they got recognized and with the live viewer I could look at them but CCV could only use/detect one. After a reboot I could still only detect one.

So I bought the multicam SDK, installed that and CCV recognized both PS3 eyes and it works perfectly BUT this caused a major problem. Every time the computer reboots it does not recognize the PS3 eyes but it says in the device manager:
Unknown USB device (Device Desciptor Request Failed)
———
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
A request for the USB device descriptor failed.
———

To fix this I have to physically unplug and re-plug the PS3Eye USB cables. Then it recognizes them and it all works again. But this is unacceptable because the final product will be an build in system and you can’t just plug something in and out. If I Uninstall the SDK manager the problem stays and I can’t get it to recognize the PS3 Eyes at boot.

How can I fix this?

Computer we use:
- I7 4670k, 8GB ram, 250GB ssd, Windows 10
- CL-Eye 5.3.0.0341 and SDK version 1.6.4.0028

Posted: 20 September 2016 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2016-08-10

I have a similar problem. I have five ps3 Eye cameras activated. All of them are plugged to the computer but the computer recognizes 2,3 or 4 of them randomly. I have to unplug and replug usbs so that the computer can recognize them all. I am working on Windows 8.1.
Can anyone help me please?

Posted: 21 September 2016 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-07-08

I got this responds from the support:

This is a known problem with PS3Eye cameras. It is due to the camera firmware of which we have no control. One option would be to use powered usb hub that you can power cycle after your PC boots.

Best Regards,
CL Support

The thing I noticed is:
1- A PS3 Eye needs a lot of power and some computers/motherboards group power delivery over USB ports and therefore don’t give enough power.
2- Once powered on it can be found/initialized by windows. This is the problem when you then restart the computer while the camera stays powered that it can’t be reinitialized therefore you need to unplug->re-plug it.

We had a computer old that did this properly, I suspect that computer disabled the power during reboot. But the new computer did not. You can see if the computer has options in the BIOS for power to usb when the computer is off and make sure that is turned off (The new computer had this turned of but still did not fix the problem).

Our solution was a bad work around. we had a USB relay switch that turned the power on off at start up so it forced the initialization and then it worked good but it’s not a good way.

Posted: 22 September 2016 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2016-08-10

Thanks for the replay..
I try to cut off power of usbs from bios but the bios does not have this property. About the usb hubs: I tried to use a usb hub with 4 cameras but it does not work. I am trying to get frames from 4 cameras at the same time. I think the bandwith of the usb hub is not enough to transfer the data.

Posted: 22 September 2016 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-07-08

Yes I would not recommend 2 camera’s per USB port and only one if you use the max settings (I think 640x480x60fps) because that fills the USB bus. And use a Powered USB hub, else you keep the problem of course.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed