Use of multiple cameras with WIA-based apps
Posted: 03 May 2010 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-04-27

I would like to be able to use multiple PS3 Eye’s with VFW/WIA compatible applications.  When can we expect a platform driver that supports multiple cameras?

There’s no reason why the driver can’t support multiple cameras…since each device has a unique USB identifier.  I’m suspecting this is a limitation that was implemented on purpose.

I know you’re “focusing on the SDK”...but not everyone wants to write their own video processing routines…especially with a proprietary SDK.  Using Windows built-in video handling routines makes more sense in certain situations…and makes it more open for developers…so we’re not locked into the Eye SDK when something better comes along.

Now, don’t get me wrong…I’d gladly pay for multi-camera VFW/WIA support.  I already have the quad-cam SDK license.  And if you have sample code for creating wrapper VFW/WIA drivers that utilize the SDK, let me know.

Posted: 03 May 2010 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2009-09-17

Thanks for your input, we really appreciate it. The video for Windows (VFW) and WIA are old standards that even Microsoft is not supporting (or trying to get away from) any more. Writing and debugging the legacy code will take a significant portion of our time from focusing onto the future. The DirectShow multicam is something that is on our road-map and we will get to it some time in the near future. But by all means, if you have some spare time we encourage you to write the VFW/WIA wrapper around the SDK and thus utilize multiple camera inputs.

Posted: 14 May 2010 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-14

Hi

I am trying to get two ps3eye cams running in vvvv at the same time but could only get one Camera working with the newest driver from popovich. Is this a problem of the driver related to directshow?

I did download the CL-Eye Platform SDK and the multicam test is working fine but I had no luck in vvvv.

Did anyone actually get two ps3eye cams running in v4?

thanks a lot for any help

Posted: 21 June 2010 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-27

klienkariert,

As you can see from AlexP’s post, there is no support for multiple cameras via DirectShow yet.  And AlexP, if you read this, sorry I came across as harsh in my original post.  I was just frustrated that I couldn’t use the three PS3 cameras I had just bought for my podcast with UStream.  grin

But…I am working on a workaround.  What I’m doing is piping the data from the SDK through an ASP.NET page to generate a Motion-JPEG image that I can then pass into an MJPEG-compatible player.  Right now, only Firefox can view the stream successfully.

Once I get something stable working, I plan on using it with WireCast 4.0, which is supposed to support IP-based cameras (i.e. MJPEG.)  With that, I should be able to bypass the 1-camera limitation.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed